Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I MISSED MEETING JEFFREY ARCHER










May 13, 2009 – HE WAS IN MUMBAI

I got acquainted with him when he visited Mumbai last year to promote his book ‘Prisoner of Birth’. I had at that time not paid much attention to his visit or to his book. I consider it an evolutionary phase to soon become a fan of his books. Accidentally I hit upon a link that transported me to the introductory pages of ‘Prisoner of Birth’. I started reading it and I continued doing so at the pace of a jet. I discovered how the characters were being carefully created by Jeffrey Archer to be profiled in a book which was so real at the outset. I knew I had to buy this book of his and I did so. From page one of the book to the last page that I read of ‘Prisoner of Birth’, I found Jeffrey Archer making a very strong statement. It had to do something with the lawlessness of a highly civilised society. It had to do something with the innocent lives of innocent people. The book was conversing with me. In Daniel Cartwright the main protagonist in the book, I found the wronged conscience of mine. From the beginning I knew he was innocent but was eager to find out how he was going to achieve freedom from the highly guarded Belmarsh prison. I was eager to know how he was going to make Beth realise that true love does wait eternally. After I completed reading it, I knew the fan in me had surrendered to the genius of Jeffrey Archer. I wanted to read more of him and more of his books. I googled and I found his official website and his blog. Both made for good read. It is here that I read about his life and the books he has penned. I am now eager to read all of them. Then I also saw the official launch of his new book ‘Paths of Glory’. Once again basing his story on the real life story of a mountaineer, Jeffrey Archer creates a revolution in the world of writing. I am yet to grab a copy of it. On his blog I learnt about his visit to India. He was also coming to Mumbai at Landmark Book Store at the Infiniti Mall to promote his new book ‘Paths of Glory’. He finally did arrive on May 13. I was eager to meet him. I had even carried with me the copy of ‘Prisoner of Birth’ to be autographed by him and had wished to purchase ‘Paths of Glory’ and get it autographed from him. No matter how much time it took. No matter how much effort I had to put in to do so. No matter how much delayed his arrival could have been. But destiny had something else in store for me. I was not able to leave my office. My presence here was important too. I kept looking at my watch and realised how and what I was missing. I wanted to be there. I wanted to be at the feet of my favourite writer. I wanted to catch a glimpse of him. Luckily he is again writing a book; a collection of short stories and I am sure he shall visit India again to promote it. It should be in the year 2010. I hope I survive that long because life now has become highly unpredictable in India. One moment you are alive and the other moment you are dead due to bomb blast, accident or murder. But I truly missed meeting Jeffrey Archer. Better luck next time says the struggling writer within me. Better luck next year says the survivor within me. Better luck next era says the ardent disciple of Jeffrey Archer within me.

- vociferous

No comments: