Thursday, May 21, 2009

FIRST OF SHOWERS

Just like the Indian elections and the winning party do we have a winner in our weather prediction department for the year 2009? In so many years their prediction of monsoons hitting the westerly coastal regions has come true. They had announced the arrival on May 20, 2009. The Rain gods kept their promise. It was around 5.30 p.m. in the evening. Seated facing a skyline of high raises, I saw the sky turn golden. The shade that I saw and many others saw could never be found on a palette or a shade card. In one hour the sky turned black. I was placing an order for a very creative name plate for my friend’s new home. The girl in the shop helping me make a choice surprised me by saying, “Sir. It’s raining out there”.

Did I have a choice? I did have. Luckily the water droplets were not bigger enough to leave me drenched. Holding my breath, I started running towards the railway station to board my train. On reaching the platform, I held my hand out of the shed that protected the station atop. It had started raining. It was a very unromantic drizzle. The water was dirty and muddy enough to put a plain white shirt to shame. After having boarded the train I thought the rains must have retreated. But it kept drizzling though not heavily. Some remarked, “Finally its here”. Some commented, “A respite from melting summer”. Silently I cursed, “Why now”?

It is not that I dislike monsoons. Four months of natural water flow from the generous skies are necessary to keep man built reservoirs flooded to quench thirsts for 365 days of the year. But the unannounced arrival of monsoons in an unplanned, unmanaged city of ours is a bit of a shock. No one has paid attention to the potholes that have been abandoned mid way. The biggest event of the month is Election Results. Even LTTE’s destruction following its founder’s death has been overshadowed by our political junkies. So leave alone the monsoons. Because it is a mercy God does on us for at least four months of a year.

As the city celebrates the onset of monsoons, I kind of become a little reclusive asking God to hold it for a few more days. The shades of red, orange, yellow and green have yet not dried up. Secondly my best friend is yet to move into his new home.

The first of showers might have arrived but the first of happiness is yet to fade. Let us first gear up for a healthy monsoon. Let us keep ourselves reminded that crisis is uncared for in our county. Let us upgrade ourselves with the high lying areas. Let us seal the last gateway of seepage into our homes. Let us flood the refrigerators with the available stock of vegetables. Let us visit the neighbourhood shop for umbrellas and rain coats. Let the government wake up to our demands of an accident proof pothole. Let the kids enjoy a few more days of vacation. And then, the first of showers can be enjoyed.

- vociferous

PS: This year I am not slipping into plastic shoes because Woodland would keep my feet protected.

No comments: