Wednesday, November 02, 2011

THOSE WHO MATTER/ THOSE WHO DON’T

Today at around 8:30 pm, on my super smart phone flashed a message – ONCE WE WERE FRIENDS, NOW TELL ME WHO I AM? Over the last few years, I have fallen prey to the addiction of changing my mobile handsets a bit too often. I am not a tech savvy person. But gadgets entice me. If the price suits me, I invest. If it doesn’t, I ignore. In case of mobile phones, whenever I have opted for a new one; I have randomly ended up deleting somewhat vital and somewhat ignorable numbers. This has resulted in two big problems: THE IGNORED BECAME IMPORTANT, THE IMPORTANT GOT IGNORED. Therefore I have somewhat started hating this ritual of shopping for brand new mobile phones. But the question remains – Who matters? Who Doesn't?

Such messages make me press the panic button. Do I ever know it might be a friend who needs me? Do I ever know it might be a foe who hates me? Some of them are intelligent enough to play mind games. I know of a certain breed, which begins by saying – LONG AGO WE USED TO CHAT SO OFTEN, I AM SURPRISED YOU DON’T REMEMBER ME ANY MORE. First and foremost the biggest confusion that arises is of the gender. I can never make out whether the sender is a male, female or a super power. Thereafter follows a vague memory – YOU WORE A WHITE SHIRT AND WERE FROWNING OVER A STAIN LEFT BY THE SAUCE I ACCIDENTALLY DROPPED OVER IT. I STILL FEEL SORRY. I am rendered speechless yet get no clue to who it is.

Sometimes I think if they really matter. Sometimes I think they do matter. I remember during many such exchanges, happiness has arrived from unknown quarters. I had expected them to be just a short lived moment, but they transformed into a lifelong beauty. I remember a similar incident taking place at around 3 am, deep in the dead of night and an eager morning on the brink. My mobile flashed two words – KNOCK, KNOCK. The sender of this message had perhaps forgotten to mention its name. When I enquired about the identity, a second message arrived and leaving me pleasantly surprised. But till date those two words have remained very important for me – KNOCK, KNOCK. These two words marked the beginning of a friendship that will never ever die. These two words marked the beginning of my reinstatement of faith, belief and trust in destiny. The sender was not just a human being but turned out to be a strong inspiration, a determined motivator and a generator of positive vibes.

It is moments as such when I again don the Thinking Cap and analyze – WHO MATTER? WHO DON’T? Another instance involved a man from down south India. The first message he had sent was of I LOVE YOU. Show me one man on this earth who won’t get thrilled unless it is a case of gender confusion and physical dissatisfaction! Excited, thrilled and curious, I dialed the number to know who this big fan of me was. Nothing could have been as heartbreaking as the information that poured in. When I dialed, the phone was answered on the last ring. I could clearly hear a hefty voice speaking in a heavy accent – KYA JEE, TUM KYA BOLA, NO HINDI, and ONLY KANNADA PLEASE. I probed further to be only informed that the mobile number belonged to a lowest graded police constable attached to a remote village based in Bangalore. He further clarified in broken Hindi and overcomplicated English that it was his brother-in-law who had decided to stay the night over with his family. To be believed/disbelieved, this sample piece pressed some keys which seemed to be preset defaults for customized sms’. As a result of which, three different people had been at the receiving end of – I LOVE YOUs. But what I still haven’t figured out, how did my number get chosen?

I could have easily freaked out but then couldn’t blame the police constable, who went to the extent of saying he was a very poorly paid man. On one hand, I was irritated and on the other hand, I was feeling a bit too sad about an honest constable thriving on limited resources. But my biggest turn off were those three words – I LOVE YOU. Did they really matter to me at the end of it? No! For the simple reason being, it was an accident.

Ten years have slipped away and I have so far repeatedly changed my mobile handsets. But at the end of it, the only issue that continues to linger – I ATTEND AND ADDRESS ONLY THOSE WHO MATTER. I IGNORE THOSE WHO DON’T.

-vociferous

2 comments:

delhidreams said...

nicely written
and i suffer the same dilemma whenever i've to choose who is important or not at a given moment in life. i feel too practical, too worldly but then i've to thin out the overloaded phone book...

Ire said...

Nice read. All of us fall prey to these things :)